Pages

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Scriptural Gem: Comparisons (2Cor 10:12b)

The first line in my first ever blog post called Introducing, says "Growing up I wished I was anybody but me". I go on to say  how everyone seemed to have qualities I admired and wished I had. I didn't accept myself and this blog was intended to be about my discoveries and accepting who God has made and is making me to be. So I have been comparing myself with other people FOREVER. It has been a habit so deeply rooted in me that it happens without me even knowing it is happening.


Recently I came across a scripture that made me rethink comparing myself to others.
When they measure themselves with themselves and compare themselves with one another, they are without understanding and behave unwisely. (AMP) 2 Corinthians 10:12b
There are other scriptures in the Bible that warn against the comparing ourselves with others. This scripture struck me because of how it opens.
"When they measure themselves with themselves." As I though about it, when I compared myself to others, I was somehow saying that my finite understanding and limited life experience was sufficient enough to definitively conclude that I didn't measure up.
What happens when you compare yourself to other people? Either you don't measure up and become jealous or envious of them and further hate yourself. OR you find someone who you actually surpass on your measuring stick and then think yourself haughty and your ego is inflated and are filled with pride.
 So please tell me what good comes from comparisons like that.

When other people are our standard it is like building a house on shifting sand. Am I saying there aren't people who are admirable and who we could learn from? Absolutely not. There are people who could be a role model for us.
I found that the best and only person I can compare myself to and model after is Jesus Christ. When I compare myself to him and what he says, I don't have time to be anyone except me.

Seeking gems,

Julia






No comments:

Post a Comment